Tuesday, June 21, 2011

On the Topic of Infinity.

 Okay, so when I was taking algebra back in high school, I came across something that I just couldn't agree with my teacher on.
 The lesson was about dividing by "x". My teacher said that "x" couldn't equal zero if it was in the denominator because it is impossible to divide something by zero.
 Well I think that it is completely fine to divide by zero. The only catch is that the equation would equal ∞, because zero will never stop going into any number. And I know that wouldn't be very helpful in "real" situations. But I don't see why they just completely rule it out. 
 Also math doesn't always have to end with a solid number. As an example: 10 divided by 3 equals 3.33333333...... where the 3 never stops going into 10 to equal 3. And the rules are perfectly fine with equations like that even though they will never end.
 Anyway that's just a thought that I wanted to share with you all. Thanks for reading.
  Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment